Easy Vegetarian Recipes feed: Roasted potato frittata with onions and peppers

Easy Vegetarian Recipes feed
Roasted potato frittata with onions and peppers
Mar 18th 2013, 12:00


© Jaymi Heimbuch
Jaymi's Notes:
This was the first frittata I've ever made. It's something that has been on the to-do list for years but I'd never made one because I needed an oven-proof pan and somewhere in the last few moves my cast iron skillet disappeared. I finally decided to suck it up and get a new one and if the only thing I ever make in it again is frittatas, well, based on this recipe I know I'll be happy. This frittata is gooooood!

It's basically the exact same thing as the veggie scramble I usually make on weekends, except looks far more attractive in cute little slices and topped with delicious roasted potatoes. I can see myself experimenting a lot with variations of this recipe, such as tossing the potatoes with rosemary when roasting them or trying a different cheese like smoked Gouda.

You can easily leave out the cheese to make it slightly healthier, but it sure was tasty with some sharp cheddar mixed in. Garnished with a little bit of fresh thyme, or maybe some chives and this is a delicious meal. We decided it needs to be the new staple on weekends, but I'll probably get a smaller 6-inch cast iron skillet and cut the recipe in half because even after we both indulged in second helpings, we still had half of this frittata left over. If you're cooking for more than two people, however, I wouldn't cut the recipe in half because this will disappear in no time!

More on The Cooking Project.


© Jaymi Heimbuch
Kelly's Recipe:
My husband, son and I are off to Italy this week and I'm trying to use up everything in the refrigerator that will spoil. But my daughter and I went to the Royal Winter Fair yesterday and were given huge russet potatoes from Prince Edward Island. Most people give you a free sample of their food, but not P.E.I. You get three potatoes! Last year I went with Emma and a few of her friends, who all gave me their potatoes, so I ended up with a serious spud haul.

The odds and ends in the fridge included some mushrooms and some green pepper and lots of eggs, so a frittata was the result. I love making frittatas because they are so very forgiving. You can use just about anything you like and the method is the same. I roasted some potatoes first, but using leftover potatoes is also a great option.


© Jaymi Heimbuch

Roasted Potato Frittata

1 large russet potato
Olive oil to coat
Sprinkle of salt, pepper and cayenne pepper
1 tbsp butter
1 onion, diced
1/4 green pepper diced
2 mushrooms, diced
4 eggs
1/2 cup aged cheddar


© Jaymi Heimbuch
1. Cut potato into thick slices and coat with a bit of olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Roast in a 450F oven until cooked through, about 15 minutes. Set aside.


© Jaymi Heimbuch
2. In a small oven proof skillet heat the butter. Add the onion and green pepper and cook until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms are golden, about 10 minutes.

3. Place eggs in a small bowl and whisk. Add cheese and pour egg and cheese mixture over the vegetables in the skillet. Pull the eggs mixture away from the side of the skillet allowing the uncooked egg on top to run down into the pan. Keep doing this until the egg mixture is cooked on the bottom but still runny on top. Place the potato slices onto the top of the frittata.


© Jaymi Heimbuch
4. Place under a broiler until the egg has puffed up and is golden brown, about 5 minutes.


© Jaymi Heimbuch
5. Garnish, serve, and enjoy!

© Jaymi Heimbuch

This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service — if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read the FAQ at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php#publishers. Five Filters recommends: Jousting With Toothpicks - The Case For Challenging Corporate Journalism http://www.medialens.org/index.php/alerts/alert-archive/alerts-2013/719-jousting-with-toothpicks-the-case-for-challenging-corporate-journalism.html.

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More