Easy Vegetarian Recipes feed: Spicy curry with potatoes and kale [Vegan]

Easy Vegetarian Recipes feed
Spicy curry with potatoes and kale [Vegan]
Apr 23rd 2013, 13:00


© Jaymi Heimbuch
Jaymi's Notes:
I love making curry dishes almost more for the mouth-watering smells that fill my kitchen than for the dish itself. From the onions and garlic to the cinnamon and ginger, this dish is sheer joy to cook from start to finish for the smells and textures.

I used lite coconut milk so that the dish would have less fat, and I wonder if that might also have made it more spicy because there wasn't the full-fat coconut milk to mellow it out. Then again, I also used extra red pepper flakes. The finished dish sure did set my mouth on fire! You can adjust the spiciness by using more or less jalapeno and red pepper flakes. You could even cook this to have a more mild flavor and allow each person served to add red pepper flakes to add spiciness to their own preference.

Because potatoes are such a nice filling, starchy vegetable, I decided to skip the rice or noodles that you might serve this over. I have to say I didn't miss rice -- the potatoes and kale both feel so hearty, this curry is a complete meal in itself.

More on The Cooking Project.


© Jaymi Heimbuch

Kelly's Recipe:

My husband was swanning about Iceland last week, which means I spent the week on my own in the woods with the dog and the cat for company. I love a bit of time on my own, especially as my husband and I both work from home, and so see each other all day, every day. For me, the best part of being alone is being able to cook what and when I feel like. I also get to make meals that my husband would prefer not to eat, mainly things that involve lentils and kale.

I've been looking at this recipe for kale and potato curry for weeks wanting to try it, but my husband kept rolling his eyes at me and suggesting other menu items. I took the broad hint and saved it for my time alone. And I must say, he missed a very nice dish. This made a lot, so I happily had leftovers for a couple of days and could just heat it when I got hungry. It was very good the first day, but even better the second day, so it's a great dish to make on the weekend for a weeknight dinner. I had it over noodles one night and rice another. If you have a little bit left over, you could add a bit of vegetable stock to it, puree it a bit with an immersion blender and turn it into a soup to take to work for lunch.

Like all curry recipes, the list of ingredients seems long, but it's mostly spices so it really doesn't take long to make. I didn't bother peeling the potatoes, I like potato skins.

This recipe is from the website local kitchen.


© Jaymi Heimbuch

Kale and Potato Curry

3 tbsp grapeseed or vegetable oil
2 medium yellow onions, diced
4 large garlic cloves, minced
Thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled & minced
1 jalapeño chile, thinly sliced (with seeds)
3 tbsp sweet curry powder
1 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 large bunch kale, chopped
1 large tomato, diced
1 cup water
1 and 1/2 lbs (about 4 medium) potatoes
1 can coconut milk
2 tsp dried basil or 2 tbsp fresh slivered basil
1/4 cup fresh oregano leaves
Rice or other grain for serving

1. In a medium Dutch oven or stockpot, heat oil over medium flame until shimmering. Add onions, reduce heat to medium-low, and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, ginger and jalapeño; sauté until fragrant, about 1 – 2 minutes. Add curry powder, tumeric, cinnamon and cayenne pepper: stirring constantly, cook for 1 minute. Add kale in two batches, stirring and sautéing until kale is wilted. Add tomato and water, stir and reduce heat to low while you prepare the potatoes.

2. Peel and dice potatoes. Add potatoes, coconut milk and dried basil (if using fresh basil, add at the end with the oregano) to the pot. Stir well and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20-30 minutes.

3. Uncover and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened, 10 – 20 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings. Stir in oregano and serve hot over rice.
© Jaymi Heimbuch

This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service — if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read the FAQ at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php#publishers. Five Filters recommends: Thatcher's Tyrants - The Tanks, The Guns, The Christmas Cards.

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More