Easy Vegetarian Recipes feed: Peach and tomato salsa [Vegan]

Easy Vegetarian Recipes feed
Peach and tomato salsa [Vegan]
Jul 11th 2013, 10:00, by Kelly Rossiter, Jaymi Heimbuch

Jaymi's Notes:
I love salsa, especially classic restaurant-style salsa. But during the summer, I really love fruit-based salsas. They're usual, and the combination of sweet with spice is irresistible. From strawberries and serrano, to mango and avocado, the possibilities of making salsas from summer fruits is practically endless. But this peach and tomato salsa might need to become a staple for hot weekends. The combination of flavors is perfect! And nothing says summer (especially to gardeners) like peaches and tomatoes!

More on The Cooking Project.

Kelly's Recipe:

I love this time of year, when every visit to the farmers' market begs the question - how many fruits and vegetables can two people eat until next visit? I almost always over buy, because everything is beautiful and I know the season is short, and I will be back to winter vegetables before I know it. This week the haul included a basket of peaches, both sweet and sour cherries, baby greens, wild blueberries, strawberries, cherry tomatoes, a basil plant, corn, and some raspberries.

The peaches are sitting in a huge bowl in front of me as I write this and the aroma of them is intoxicating. I've been making fruit salad for breakast every morning. Today for a change of pace, I made my husband's favourite farmhouse corn cakes with the leftover corn from last night's dinner. Last year I made a salsa from cherry tomatoes and avocado, but this year I used peaches instead. I wish I had had some jalepeƱo peppers to toss in to liven it up a bit, but cayenne pepper did the job.

I served this with the corn cakes but it would be delicious with grilled vegetables, or even over some greens as a salad course.

Peach and Tomato Salsa

2 peaches, cubed
6 cherry tomatoes, sliced or quartered
1 small yellow onion, diced
Juice from one lime
1-2 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Cayenne pepper to tasteIn a large bowl mix all ingredients and let stand for 15 minutes. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
© Jaymi Heimbuch

This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service — if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read the FAQ at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php#publishers. Five Filters recommends: 'You Say What You Like, Because They Like What You Say' - http://www.medialens.org/index.php/alerts/alert-archive/alerts-2013/731-you-say-what-you-like-because-they-like-what-you-say.html

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More