Easy Vegetarian Recipes feed: Savory swiss chard and onion frittata [Vegetarian]

Easy Vegetarian Recipes feed
Savory swiss chard and onion frittata [Vegetarian]
Jul 17th 2013, 10:00, by Kelly Rossiter, Jaymi Heimbuch

Jaymi's Notes:
A frittata is a real treat for us, and we usually make one on weekends. So I'm always looking forward to trying simple yet flavorful recipes for frittatas. This is no disappointment -- just a few recipes, a few simple steps, and done! I've been trying to cut back on dairy and so I made this frittata without using cheese. It turns out every bit as delicious without cheese, so might as well save yourself the calories and the carbon footprint.

More on The Cooking Project.

Kelly's Recipe:

Our cottage neighbours, the Johnson family, have been raising chickens for a year or so. Their young sons were keen to start a little business and they thought they would like to sell eggs. I thought they had six chickens, and not too many eggs. It turns out that they have eighteen chickens now and get almost that many eggs a day. I could have been getting incredibly fresh eggs from very happy, healthy chickens all summer. I've been kicking myself since I found out, but next year I'll get myself on their list of customers. My daughter bought some eggs from them last week and when they were delivered, they were still warm from the chickens.It's actually taken me some time to develop a taste for eggs, and I still can't eat a plain fried or poached egg. I like them mixed up with vegetables in them, like the scrambled eggs with stinging nettles I made earlier this year. Probably my favourite way to eat them is in a frittata. A frittata is the perfect refrigerator cleaning dish because you can put just about anything into it. In my case, this was a garden cleaning out recipe, because I used up pretty much the end of my Swiss chard harvest.

This recipe is adapted from the Williams Sonoma book Cooking From the Farmers' Market.

Swiss Chard, Onion and Cheese Frittata

1 bunch Swiss chard, roughly chopped
4 tbsp olive oil
1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
Salt and fresh ground black pepper
6 large eggs
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4 cup grated hard cheese, such as Parmesan
Pinch of cayenne pepper

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large, heavy skillet over medium heat, warm 2 tbsp of the olive oil. Add the onion and saute until tender about 6 minutes. Add the chard, season with salt and saute until tender about 6 or 7 minutes.

2. In a large bowl, lightly beat the eggs with the garlic and cheese. Season with cayenne, salt and black pepper. Add the eggs to the vegetables in the skillet, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook until the eggs are set around the edges, about 5 minutes.

3. Transfer the skillet to the oven and cook until set, 7 to 9 minutes longer. Let cool briefly. Cut into wedges and serve right away, or at room temperature.


© Jaymi Heimbuch

This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service — if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read the FAQ at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php#publishers. Five Filters recommends: 'You Say What You Like, Because They Like What You Say' - http://www.medialens.org/index.php/alerts/alert-archive/alerts-2013/731-you-say-what-you-like-because-they-like-what-you-say.html

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More