Easy Vegetarian Recipes feed: Weekday Vegetarian: Roasted Tomato Soup

Easy Vegetarian Recipes feed

Weekday Vegetarian: Roasted Tomato Soup
Sep 18th 2012, 12:46
Photo: Kelly Rossiter/CC BY 2.0
I've been canning tomatoes all this week, and for some reason I've had a larger number than usual of jars that didn't seal. I ended up with eight jars of tomatoes in my refrigerator that had to be used up fairly quickly. Of course, I made some pasta sauce, but then I decided to roast some of the tomatoes and make a soup. You can use canned tomatoes for this soup, or if you still have some fresh, you could use those.
I made this soup for my book club and they loved it. They thought I had gone to a lot of trouble, but the prep time was essentially the time it took to peel the garlic, and then puree they whole thing when the roasting was complete. The long slow roasting gives the tomatoes a really intense flavour. I did add some pureed chickpeas to the soup to give it a bit more body, but otherwise I kept it pretty simple. If you like, you could add some vegetables to this, or even use it as a base for some minestrone. In any case, the addition of a bit of bread and a green salad makes a perfect late summer lunch.
I didn't add any salt to the soup, because there is a teaspoon of salt that gets added to the tomatoes when I process them, and then the roasting intensifies the salt. So taste the soup before adding anything to it. I'm not sure why my soup was so foamy when I made it, but after about ten minutes the foam went away.
6 cups of tomatoes, with their juice 1 head of garlic, broken into cloves and peeled 1-2 tbsp olive oil 6 cups vegetable stock, or water 1 can chickpeas Basil leaves, chopped 1. Place tomatoes and their juice in an oven-proof casserole. Add the garlic cloves and drizzle with the olive oil. Roast in a 250F oven until the garlic is soft and the tomatoes are cooked, with the liquid absorbed, 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Remove from the oven and let rest.
2. Puree tomatoes and garlic using a blender or an immersion blender, until smooth. Pour tomatoes into a large pot. Add the stock and the chickpeas and cook until heated through. You can puree the chickpeas, or leave them whole, as you please. Add the basil leaves to taste, and serve.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More